History of Mac's
1962 Founded by Kenneth & Carl McGowen, Mac’s Milk was incorporated on April 4th.
1963 Silverwood Dairies Limited becomes a 40% owner of the company, and eventually would own 100% of the 375 store convenience chain by 1972.
1975 Mac's Milk Ltd becomes Mac's Convenience Stores Ltd. with a store count of 418.
1983 More stores were added in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba, bringing total store count to over 700 in Canada.
1986 Acquires 78 Mike's Mart Convenience Stores in Northern Ontario (raising the store count to 825).
1992 Mac's enters a corporate restructuring (focusing on smaller and more profitable retail stores).
1996 Acquires Becker's Convenience store in Ontario and sells the U.S. Stores (for a total store count of 1004).
1999 Mac's is acquired by Alimentation Couche-Tard and becomes part of Canada's largest national convenience store network. MacIntosh the cat was replaced with the winking owl.
2001 Couche-Tard acquires the assets of Johnson Oil Company with an addition of 225 stores under the Bigfoot banner marking the entrance of Couche-Tard into the U.S. market.
2003 Couche-Tard acquires Dairy Mart stores to further build the U.S. market in the Midwest.
2004 Couche-Tard acquires over 2000 Circle K stores in the U.S.
2007 Couche-Tard is now the largest convenience store chain in Canada and the second largest in North America.